The Development Awards are aimed at helping young skiers and mountaineers to become established in Ski Touring and Ski Mountaineering. The Awards were originally created by legacies (the Georgina Travers Memorial Award and the Janey Reid Memorial Award) which are now supplemented from time to time by the club's own funds and donations from members.
Who are the Development Awards for?
A typical candidate will be a competent piste skier who has already done some off-piste ski-ing or day tours , and has a firm intention to take up ski touring, but feels the need for training to establish the necessary skills. For further information about the skills needed see Introduction to Ski Touring and Tour Grading
What do people spend the Development Awards on?
Most awards enable applicants to improve their Ski Mountaineering capabilities with courses such as -
- An introductory ski touring or ski mountaineering course in Scotland or the Alps
- An instructional course to improve off-piste skiing technique.
- Essential ski mountaineering safety skills (e.g. Avalanche safety, navigation).
And some Awards have enabled applicants to go on their first club ski tour.
- Applications must be from an individual, not a group. Members of the Eagle Ski Club and non-members are equally eligible.
- Applicants must be aged under 35.
- In line with the club's aims, applications will normally only be considered from British citizens or UK residents.
- An applicant would normally only be eligible to receive one award under this scheme, although this restriction could be waived in exceptional circumstances by the Development Awards Sub Committee.
- Applicants must be amateur participants in the sport.
Successful applicants have previously demonstrated -
- How the Award would help them to pursue their Ski Mountaineering ambitions
- A real passion for the mountains and outdoors.
- Engagement with organisations, clubs or informal groups associated with related sports - ranging from climbing and hill walking clubs to the scouting movement!
- A well thought through choice of course or activity to be supported by the Development Awards.
- Contact the Development Awards Officer to discuss how a Development Award could help you. We may be able to help you to find the right course or tour for you.
- Complete the Application Form - including two referees
- Submit the Application to the Development Awards Officer before the closing date - 1st November.
- Take up references by email and sometimes phone.
- The Development Awards Committee (selected from the Young Members team and previous Award "winners") review all applications.
- The committee together creates a prioritised shortlist and agrees levels of award (last year we had eight applications - all were successful with awards ranging from £100 to £400).
- Notify all applicants of the outcome - typically within 3 weeks of the closing date.
- Commit to providing a short article for the Eagle's yearbook describing how you spent your Award and how it has aided your Ski Mountaineering
- Book your course or tour.
- Send the receipt and bank details to the club treasurer firstname.lastname@example.org who will then arrange payment via BACS.