2012 Mountain Bike meet

12 Apr 2012

DanCarron

Now the ski-touring season has passed its peak, I'd like to raise the subject of a Mountain Bike meet for 2012:

The club intend to hold Mountain bike meet over a weekend in October/November. At the moment we have not chosen a venue.  Previous meets have been held in North Wales, Wye Valley, Peak District and the Lakes (and probably others I don't know about). Steve Goulden has suggested Dumfries& Galloway or the Yorkshire Dales may be good choices.

Views and expressions of interest are sought! The date will be chosen to suit the yet-to-be-appointed organiser and to avoid clashes with other ESC events (such as the leaders meet and the REC training course - see separate post).

regards to all

Dan Carron, Weekend Meets Sec.

15 Apr 2012

RobGreaves

I don't want to organise it but I would be interested in taking part.

28 Apr 2012

StephenGoulden

To encourage further responses, here is some detail on the two suggestions I have made.

The 2 sites offer very different opportunities:

Upper Wharfdale has thousands of old drove roads and access tracks, of all gradients and surfaces, providing riding options for all styles of off-road riding. There are many posibilities for loops of any length. There are no MTB-specific (ie designed) single-track, so you get just what time and nature have created.

In Dumfries and Galloway several of the 7 Stanes MTB centres, created in Forestry Commision lands, present some of the best created MTB curcuits, at all levels. They can be looked at on the web at www.7stanes.com; the web sites are very good.

Both of these possible destinations have bunk houses where we can stay over a weekend, but they are quickly booked, often a long way in advance. This risks putting the success of the w/e in jepardy if members (and guests) do not commit themsemves.

29 May 2012

DavidDarwent

Would be interested in joining in at either location. 

Dumfries and Galloway does have the advantage of all the trail centre which are great for mixed ability groups. If you're looking for a bunkhouse - I've stayed here before. It was well over 5/6 years ago so not sure what it's like now but the wood burning sauna was great after a days biking. http://www.marthrownofmabie.com/marthrown-bunkhouse-c2.html

Upper Wharfdale is suppose to be great and not somewhere I've done much riding, so would certainly get my vote. There's also Gisburn Forest nearby if a trail centre was the preferred option. http://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/englandnwegisburnbiketrail.pdf/$file/englandnwegisburnbiketrail.pdf

01 Jun 2012

pob

I'd be interested in joining, but can't guarantee at this stage. Nov is better than Oct for me and logistics make Yorkshire rather than Scotland teh preferred choice.

16 Jun 2012

KerryAtkey (not verified)

N. Scotland is actually easily accesible if you consider traveling by train.  The Caledonian sleeper puts the cyclist right on the doorstep in the Highlands at 0730 on Saturday morning and takes them home at 2100 on Sunday night.

Could I suggest Aviemore?  It is a great venue for mountain biking with classic day tours like "Burma Road"  and the "Rothiemurchus circuit".  Perhaps I should let the cat out of the bag and sugggest the fabulous 2 day circumnavigation of Cairngorm National Park, 96 miles ALL off road in remote and beautiful country?  Comfy overnight accomodation in a dry bed with great food included!

I would be happy to liase on routes here in the North........ but I cannot promise decent weather in October/November.  ;0)

17 Aug 2012

StephenGoulden

Having followed the rather sparse discussion on this meet, I have offered to organise it, and that has been accepted by our W/e Meets Sec

So I have looked at the options more closely, and for a variety of reasons which I will not inumerate, have decided that Swaledale presents the best range of options: drove roads, bridle paths, narrow country roads, and  some interesting MTB circuits well described in the MTB literature.

There is also a good Bunk House Barn at Low Row , near Reeth (www.yorkshirenet.co.uk/stayat/lowwhitafarm/page1.asp); 2 barns, in fact, one with 12 beds, the other with 24. Both have all we would need to self cater, and Reeth is close enough if we want to eat out in an evening. There is good availablity from the middle of October, so I propose either the w/e of 20th.21st, or the following, 27th/28th.

These bunk barns are booking up now (availability has gone down whilst I have been looking) so a response from interested members about which week-end they would prefer will allow the choice of w/e, and which barn,  to be fixed. The weekend need not be exclusively for mountain-bikers - there are many options in the area for walkers, and road cyclists. Even some pot-holes not too far away.

Please respond to me directly at stephengoulden@me.com, tel: 01981580397.

27 Aug 2012

StephenGoulden

ESC MTB weekend - 26th, 27th and 28th October

Only 5 places left!

The 12 bunk barn at Low Row, near Reeth in Upper Swaledale has been booked for the Friday and Saturday nights.

The Barn has the web site of (www.yorkshirenet.co.uk/stayat/lowwhitafarm/page1.asp .

There are many bridle paths, drove roads and minor roads in the area. If you Google "Swaledale MTB", many ideas are listed including http://www.mtbbritain.co.uk/Swaledale_round_route.html, described as "one of the most scenic XC routes in the UK on good Bridleways with a bit of pushing and one small carrying section. "  33 miles of upland scenery, if the clouds are not too low, and 4290 feet of climbing. Take a look at the video at - http://www.netpositive.co.uk/node/26 - for some idea of the terrain. There are several rides described at the base address - http://www.netpositive.co.uk/pdfMaps/HealaughLang.pdf shows the map of another ride; there are lots more, including long road-bike rides around Tan Hill,the highest pub in England, and towards wensleydale and Wharfedale.

There is much else to attract mountain bikers here and the Google Earth is the way to see them. The Bunk House provides the comfort we might need at the end of a hard day; arrangements have been made for it to be available at the end of our Sunday ride - normally it would be vacated at midday. 

I will provide a GPS route, which can be downloaded onto your GPS equipment, for those who wish to follow the "Round Route", which is to the north of the valley. The OS Explorer OL30 - Yorkshire Dales, Northern and Central map covers the whole area. Access to Wensleydale (Askrigg), and then Upper Wharfedale, to the south, by minor roads is also an option, even for road bikes. There will be no fixed group ride until the group assembles, so those who don't wish to commit to anything can choose what to do when they arrive. Non-cyclists also welcome, but all should sign up soon - only 12 places available.

I would expect us to have a Pub dinner on Saturday evening; all other meals will be self-catered in the Bunk House's ample facilities.

Note that only 12 places are available, 4 already taken. Several Eagles have already committed; non-Eagles also welcome. Places will be reserved as the full Bunk House cost of £30 is paid (if the whole 12 places are taken, there will be a refund); cheques to me, S A Goulden, Shop House, LLancloudy, Hereford, HR2 8QP, please. Further details from me, at Stephengoulden@me.com, tel:01981580397

Please note that I will be away for the whole of September, leaving August 28th, with infrequent web contact available.