Weekend Meets 2011

23 Oct 2010

DanCarron

I'm currently thinking about the weekend meet programme for 2011. The Langdale meet has been scheduled for 8th-10th July and Snowdonia meet will take place over the August Bank Holiday. It is also planned to hold a mountain bike meet in October and there will be  a training meet (probably in November, timing and topic subject to discussion at the AGM).

In previous years we have also run a meet in May and have taken part in the North London Mountaineering Club meet in West Cornwall in June. In the last couple of years there hasn't been much interest in these two meets so I'm wondering if it's worth putting them on the programme. Does anyone have views on this or suggestions for other meets for next year's programme? Some options (to seed the discussion): Walking day or weekend in Cotswolds, another Mountain Bike meet earlier in the year, wild camping trip in mid-Wales.

Dan Carron

Weekend Meets Secretary

23 Oct 2010

StephenGoulden

I would think that a mountain biking w/e at some time in the year where better weather might reasonably be expected could attract a significant number. Early May, after skiing is finished, but before other things start happening would be such a time, although the residual winter wet could give unpleasant gooeyness on the tracks.

Walkiing in the Cotswolds holds little attraction for me, but it might serve as a social event - it isn't too far from the concentrations of Eagles in the London area, the Bristol area, and perhaps even the Midlands. 

The problem with west Cornwall is that it is so far away; even for me, 2 hours closer than London or the Midlands, it can take the best part of half a day to get there, and the traffic at the weekends is appalling - even at the beginning of September it was bad the Friday afternoon we went to Bude.

There are other rock-climbing venue closer, and not visited for some time: it is some years since the Wye Valley was visited for climbing,  and in the late spring, it has so many options it would not be as crowded as north Wales or the Peak, and there are several campsite available. I don't think we have ever visit Swanage, but perhaps it is too hard for most Eagles (I think it might be for me, but I have never been.)

24 Oct 2010

SusieAmann

I agree with the comment about West Cornwall as it is just such a long way for almost everyone.  A Wye Valley meet sounds a good idea, and also the wild camping suggestion somewhere suitable.

25 Oct 2010

FelicityManning

How about the Peak District? I haven;t been to Bretton Clough hostel myself, but I think Midland Ski Club use it for a annual weekend meet. It is remote, but near a good pub. Walking, biking and climbing possible from there.

Can we do borrow canoes and do easy canoeing on the River Wye again? There are some nice camp sites.

Camping and tramping in mid-wales used to appeal, but usually involves getting wet. Might be better to start at a campsite on Friday night.

25 Oct 2010

ruperthoare (not verified)

Steve:  There are plenty of good lower-grade routes (v-diffs and severes) at parts of Swanage.   Unfortunately it's a bit far for me to travel from Aberdeenshire!

25 Oct 2010

StephenGoulden

Canoe rental on the Wye continues, all the time, Felicity. as you say, there are several camp-site, but not all are convenient for that activity.

Thanks for the Swaanage info, Rupert - yes it is a long way from Aberdeenshire, but then almost everywhere is, even the west coast of Scotland!

26 Oct 2010

DaveWynne-Jones

Hey Steve,

What do you mean, "May, after skiing is finished"??? My problem is often that I'm away in May...skiing! With fantastic venues like the Coastal Range in Canada, I can't see any reason to close down the ski season as early as May & June is popular in Chamonix for high routes. However Felicity is right about the scope in the Peak & it is pretty central for access for most. There must be a flight from Scotland to Manchester even for the likes of Rupert.

Dave