Worlds Toughest Row Atlantic 2023 - Solo Row by an Eagle

30 Nov 2023

jamiehoward

Members might be interested in a challenge I am undertaking in 12 days time. I am participating in the Worlds Toughest Row Atlantic 2023 (worldstoughestrow.com), which starts from San Sebastián de la Gomera (from where I write this) and finishes 3,000 miles away in Antigua. I expect the row to take around 65 days but that slightly depends on the weather and of course my staying power! I am 67 yo, but not the youngest solo competitor astonishingly. The start is on 12th December and the teams crewing 43 boats are all assembled and getting ready.

I’ve always yearned to travel through wilderness hence my love of ski touring. This is slightly different but nevertheless still travelling through wilderness.

I am raising funds for 2 charities, National Axial Spondyloarthritis Society, I have Ankylosing Spondylitis, and a Scottish Marine charity Openseas.org.uk.

I have a website at AtlanticRomad.com

I hope to be back in time to grab some late touring next Spring!

01 Dec 2023

AndrewPartridge

A guy I know did this two up last year.  I told him he was certifiable and his response was that the solo rowers were the mad ones, so you have chosen an appropriate banner.  Good luck!

01 Dec 2023

TomStephenson

Very best of luck Jamie!  May the seas be calm, the days sunny and the winds favourable. 

Will be following your progress with much interest, and supporting your fund raising.

02 Dec 2023

BennoRawlinson

Enjoy the experience!! I did this as part of a team back in 2013. Sheep wool cover for your seat can be a useful addition. I picked some up from https://www.skyeskyns.co.uk

05 Dec 2023

StephenWright

Just good luck, Jamie. I echo Tom's sentiments, and will follow your progress with interest

(BTW there's a missing W in AtlanticRomad.com. of course!)